There are two forms of dates available in the market. One is dry dates and the other one is soft dates. They are eaten either directly by taking them in hands or stuffed or pitted with other dry fruits like almonds, candied orange, walnuts, pecans and lemon peel, cream cheese, marzipan or tahini. Pitted dates are also known as stoned dates. Pitted dates that are partially dried are used as a snack food when glazed with the glucose syrup.
Dates can be used in a variety of sweets or in some savory dishes in the chopped form. They are used in the tajines in Morocco, in the puddings, in the kayak and many other dessert dishes. There is a famous dish in the United States named Date nut bread which is a type of cake and sold a lot in the days when there is a holiday.
There are many products that are made of dates and that products are spread, cubes, date syrup or rub in Libya or honey which is also called dibs, paste which is called ajwa, alcohol, vinegar, date sugar and many more. Vinegar is the traditional product of the Middle East, which made of dates.
There exist many new innovations that are generated by the use of dates in it and they are the invention of chocolate-covered dates and sparkling juice which is considered as a non-alcoholic thing of champagne and is used in the Islamic festival where Muslims drink to open their fast in the evening of the Ramadan. Let’s know about some uses and nutrition facts of dates.
Dates used in Different countries
Chopped dates are imported by Britain from the outside and are added in many of the dishes and in many of the dishes they are the main ingredient. There are many dessert dishes in which chopped dates are used and also in the Christmas pudding, in the date and walnut loaf and also in the toffee pudding which are sticky.
Dates are used in the making of HP sauce, which is a very popular condiment of the British.
It can form the most nutritious stock feed as they are mixed, dehydrated or ground with the grain. In the areas of Southeast Spain, where dates are produced on a very large scale, dates are sold by wrapping them in bacon and they are shallow fried with the ranch dressing.
In Israel, dates are used to produce a date syrup which is later used to cook chicken and is also used in many types of sweets and also the desserts and this date syrup are also known as silent. This syrup is also used in the dishes where there is the requirement of honey. Dates are used to make jailed which is a fruit syrup and is used in the Middle Eastern area.
In Pakistan, a thick or we can say a viscous syrup is prepared of ripe fruits in which dates are a part. This syrup is later applied to the leather bags and pipes as a coating to avoid the problem of leakage from it.
Components in dates
Dates have 3.5oz as a nutritional value per 100gm and also stores the energy of about 1178kJ which is equal to the 282kcal. They have carbohydrates 75.03gm which is equal to 2.647oz and which includes sugar content as 63.35gm which is 2.235oz and dietary fiber 8gm which is equal to 0.28oz. They contain fat, protein in 0.39gm, 2.45gm respectively amount and also different types of vitamins in different quantities.
It contain Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, C, E, K and minerals like calcium, zinc, sodium, iron, phosphorus, manganese, potassium, magnesium. The major thing is the water content which is 20.53gm(equals to 0.724oz).
It contain a lot of nutrients in it and is a very important fruit for obtaining the dietary potassium. Ripe dates contain 80% sugar content in it and the remaining 20% is made up of fiber, proteins and also trace elements which include zinc, cobalt, boron, selenium, manganese, fluorine, copper and magnesium.
There are three different types of dates depending on their glycemic index and they are khalas which is 35.5, bari which is 49.7 and bo man which is 30.5.
Dates also contain caffeic acid glycoside which is a 3-O-caffeoyl shikimic acid which is also known as dactylic acid in it and also its isomers, which are the substrates of the enzymic browning. Dates can be grounded up to form animal feed and for that date, seeds should be soaked properly. The seeds produce oil which is used when we use cosmetics or some type of Dermatology. The stripped clusters of dates are used as brooms.