Blood pressure is defined to be the pressure exerted on the walls of the arteries by blood flow. It is experienced during each phase of a heartbeat. Generally, blood pressure defined by two sub blood pressures.
Systolic Blood Pressure: It is the first numerical of a reading of blood pressure. It is defined as a pressure generated when blood is pumped by the heart through the arteries to the vital organs and the periphery of the body. It has a limit of 120mm of Hg, measured in sphygmomanometer.
Diastolic Blood Pressure: It is the second numerical reading of blood pressure. It is defined stress experienced by the arteries when the heart is at resting condition in the intervals of beats. The usual range of diastolic pressure is about 80mm of Hg.
Blood pressure has a fluctuating tendency throughout the day. It depends on your posture, working condition, medication currently continued, stress revolving around you, eating habits, metabolism, circadian rhythm. However, it is surveyed that blood pressure attains its peak level at day time and have the lowest reading at night.
HOW IS MUCH DECREMENT OF BLOOD PRESSURE CONSIDERABLE IN CASE OF HYPOTENSION?
Hypotension defined to the decreased blood pressure ranging to 90/60 mm of Hg. However, a slight fall of blood pressure from the normal range is not always considered to be in the hypotension list unless it starts to show some of the following symptoms.
- Extreme weakness.
- Increased chances of getting unconscious.
- Nausea and vomiting
- Inability to concentrate.
- Irregularity of the body rhythm.
In the case of extreme hypotension, the sign and symptoms are a more serious one. If ignored, it may end up causing death. Some of the symptoms include-
- Increased cases of unconsciousness.
- Skin becomes pale white and cold.
- Pulse rate is low and sluggish.
- Increase rate of confusion specially observed in aged instances.
The hypotension is considerable at a reading of 90/60 mm of hg. But a sudden drop of blood pressure from a healthy range is not considered to be a normal phenomenon. It can be explained best by an example discussed below.
If a person having a blood pressure reading of 110/80 mm of Hg and suddenly the systolic pressure drops to 90 mm of Hg, shows an extremely abnormal condition. He/she experiences nausea, dizziness, weakness. It occurs due to the inability of a sufficient amount of blood supply to the brain. The sudden drop of blood pressure may occur due to infection in the body or internal bleeding or any severe anaphylaxis.
WHEN TO VISIT YOUR DOCTOR?
No abnormality is considerable for the body be it of mild intensity. Ignorance sometimes converts the mild to severe, which turns life-threatening. In case of hypotension, the symptoms mentioned above should be carefully observed. If you get a slight hint of any of the symptoms, you should visit your doctor. Consistent dizziness is a sign of extreme weakness. Therefore it is essential to find out the root cause of it without showing ignoring attitude towards it.
EDGED CAUSES OF HYPOTENSION:
There are various causes of hypotension among them; medication is one of the red-lettered. Some of the medication that can cause low blood pressure are mentioned below:
- Alpha-blocker: e.g., Prazosin(Minipress)
- Beta-blockers: e.g. – atenolol ( Tenormin), propranolol.
- Specific drugs for the cure of Parkinson’s disease: e.g., pramipexole(Mirapex)
- Antidepressant drugs: e.g., doxepin(Silenor) and imipramine. (Tofranil)
- Specific drugs for erectile dysfunction: e.g., sildenafil (Revatio, Viagra) or tadalafil (Adcirca, Cialis).
- Diuretics : eg- furosemide(Lasix)
WHAT ARE THE RISK FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH HYPOTENSION?
The various signs of low blood pressure observed with the development of the risk factors in the body. Since hypotension or any other disease have no such boundaries or limitation. It can occur to anyone based on the following elements:
- MEDICATION:Blood pressure may show extreme fluctuation by the intake of various kind of drugs. Many people have daily medication fundaments. For instance, the diuretics or water pills or the beta-blockers, and many more may decrease the blood pressure to an extreme level.
- AGE: Age is an essential fact of hypotension. Usually, on a general note, the blood pressure of the older adults decrease due to the dilatation of the vessels. Therefore blood pressure falls while prolonging standing or after meals. Though the neural mechanism of the disease has made it very common among the children in recent days.
- OTHER DISEASES: Some of the conditions have a direct relation with hypotension. Our body works in an interdisciplinary manner; therefore, what affects one, will sooner affecting other organs. Similarly, Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, or hypothyroidism result in hypotension.
The above risk factors give a hint of choosing the appropriate diagnosis and treatment option. The low blood pressure treatment depends on the signs shown by the body. If the bod showcases any symptoms, the treatment depends straight on the cause.
If any medication causes the hypotension, then the treatment will be continued with medicines only. The tracking of improvement will be done using changing the dose or medicine. In some cases, the dosage of the medication can also lower by checking the patient’s condition.
There are many treatments available for hypotension. However, the medication or the treatment depends on the type of low blood pressure you have. If the cause of the hypotension is mild, then the home remedies work the best. Intaking correct amount of salt and keep body hydrated together with a proper lifestyle helps you to control your pressure level and prevents fluctuation. However, if you are a hypotension patient for a quite long period, it becomes essential to maintain consistency in pressure level. Therefore it is advised to have a regular check at reasonable intervals to have an eye on the blood pressure fluctuations.